Monday, February 17, 2014

What Matters Most

We set Valentines day aside to "show our love" for friends, family, and ultimately our romantic interest. This is why I decided that each child needed and deserved to be told how much we loved them- not only by our  actions, but with words, because everyone deserves to be told they are loved.
 
On Thursday afternoon, Zach, Hannah, Emily, Marissa and I created simple valentines from construction paper and wrote the  messages "Te Queremos Muchos" and "We Love You" to hand out to each of the kids. I know that there is a chance that these will be thrown away, ripped, torn, stepped on, crumpled or left as garbage, BUT that doesn't matter- what matters  most is that they know we took time to do something just for them.
 
 
We made one-hundred-twenty-four of these simple cards. We then piled into the car and made a trip to the grocery store Totus, where we bought apples and cookies. Here, cookies and crackers come in small individual wrapped packages because of the humidity. We bought 120 individual packages of cookies for the kids.
 
 
Friday morning, armed with our treats and extra water, we hit the road. We had nine in the van, four in another car, and two come later in the day for a grand total of fifteen  people.

We stayed as a group for the first fifteen minutes before we each went off in different directions to explore and play with the kids.
 
 
I stayed by Milagros, and after she was dismissed from spinning wool she took out a pencil with a bracelet she started working on and led me up some steps away from everyone else. She sat down on the steps, so I sat beside her and she handed me the pencil. I held it while she demonstrated how to do the bracelet. 
 
She was making a llama pattern that was way too advanced for me. She told me that if I brought two soles, the price they sell bracelets for, she would give me material so she could teach me. I think I will, because I would like to know Milagros better. 
 
She also decided that she needed to teach me Spanish. So, we went to Tia Sara's office in search of my notebook and a pen and then she told me to write down all the English words I knew so she could write them in Spanish. We did animals, clothes, actions, days, etc. There were a few times that we had trouble communicating, and she would give me a blank stare while I tried to explain a word, then would get excited when she understood.
 
 
 
Milagros is a great teacher. She made me try to guess what each word was in Spanish before she would tell me the correct answer and was always happy when I already knew a word. When correcting my pronunciation, she would carefully repeat the word until she heard me say it correctly.
 
 I am constantly amazed by the lessons I learn from these kids- not only Spanish, but in more important matters like patience, love, and kindness.
 
Milagros taught me the important of patience, something I lack in my every day to day life. She did not sigh and grumble when I didn't properly pronounce a word, but patiently repeated the word and allowed me to try until I got it right.  She showed me love and understanding when I failed instead of the anger and impatience we often show in our world.
 
I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with the others in the little lawn space, and having my hair done in a few different ways.
 
 
 




 
 
After lunch, they had a special musical number planned because two volunteers were leaving.





It was a lot of fun being able to do something so ordinary with these kids. They had one day where they were able to just be kids, without worries or expectations. It didn't take money, it didn't take planning or preparation, just time. Time is precious, it is priceless- and I am happy to have spent this time with these kids. They are worth the time, because they too are priceless.
 





 
I learned another lesson from these kids on Friday. On the drive home, we each started exchanging stories about our day. Julia and Nicole told me two of the days events  that I will never forget.  Julia was playing with one of the boys, and asked him if she was his best friend. He looked at her and replied, "No- God is my best friend." Later Nicole witnessed another little boys faith. When he was told to join the group because they didn't want him to be alone, he answered, "I'm not alone, God is with me."
 
The faith these two boys showed is something that made me revaluate my own faith. There are so many times in my life when I forget that I can turn to God not only with my troubles, but with my joy. These boys reminded me I am never alone, never forgotten, and always loved.
 
I hope you all had a Valentines filled with love. I hope you expressed your love for someone. I hope you felt loved by someone. And, I hope that you will remember to show your love not only on Valentines day and other holidays, but everyday of your life.  Because everyone deserves to be loved.

1 comment:

  1. Time is truly one of the best gifts we can give......so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete